Friday, October 10, 2008

Love letters

I'm not gonna be archaic and consider only inked letters on paper as love letters but something as inane as a post it or placard come under the BIG branch of love letters for me..

I'm a romantic at heart.. Forgive me if this is too sappy and lacks the usual doom of banishing the entire gamut of miscreants but love letters are all around us..

I finally finally FINALLY ended up watching the Sex & the City film a couple days ago.. Its how Sarah Jessica mentions the book of Love Letters from the Great Men of the world that got me thinking.. And finally much alike her inbox, the last love letter had an uncanny resemblance.. STOP - don't go any further and scroll right down to the end and begin bottom wards up.. Get a coffee, put on some Dean Martin, perch up your legs on a chair and let the flimsy breeze of a melancholy wind touch you and fly by..

I've been literally serenaded when I was oceans away.. daily although seemingly boring events laced with perfect comic timing were sent as quirky emails and a whole entire program written involving graphics when technology wasn't as easy to grasp as is today.. So much more prettier than your regular flowers and chocolates fanfare..

I've regaled colossal hours on end about miniscule details on long distance phone calls when there wasn't any competition in the telecom market and the both of us paying unsurmountable bills to compensate for not being able to 'date' in the same time zone..

There have been crazy dramatic sms's - some short, some long.. prolific but meaningful and some saved for over 9 years to the extent that I refuse to discard the phone lest I lose the phone on which I received the particular sms..

I've had an erratic frantic phone call in school when cell phones werent the adage of the day.. all because I felt highly perky and sent off a cheeky email pretending to be hurt.. And of course the caller again was some 10 states away from me..

I've had to gather and surmise from various sources said and unsaid things, reflections of my life aired out on national television, about a relationship that never took birth because neither of us thought the 'runaway bride' would finally give in..

I've always loved the particular Parker ink pen because its black ink scribbled in terse emotive small script across rammed notepad sheafs spelt the reason why this man would become the most pristine period of my life..

The most simplest thing like inscribing a book with just a few simple words took my breath away.. And this coming from the most verbose human on the planet (moi) seems a little strange..

An actual pen and paper letter to do all with aircrafts and the flying routine cos the man had no idea how to express himself except drawing parallels from the thrill of flying to our puppy love..

A card based on a cartoon character involving all facets of my life with the pre packaged hallmark of the bar code drawn on..

An actual poem from a brooder that I came across accidentally..

An ode on a public portal under veils lest identities collide..

A simple email - I miss you..

These signs of affection rehearse their effect like old wine and remain with me forever.. I simply have to draw on them to feel incapacitated like I feel right now..

No comments: